RE: rman incremental backups vs. full backups

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:19:29 -0500

Ryan,

Up to and including release 9.x, there really is not much benefit of taking an incremental backup in regards to run time. Oracle scans all the database objects anyway to backup the changes. The backup set size may be smaller (though I've never taken a look at it - I'm just happy that it works and I can verify the backup ran correctly).

According to Oracle, backups in 10g are much faster because they are tracking block changes with bitmaps so that when Rman runs, it only backs up the blocks that are marked as being changed during an incremental backup. This should be much faster.

Haven't tried it yet - don't have 10g installed anyplace.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional