RE: TNS_ADMIN

From: Singer, Phillip (P.W.) <psinger1_at_ford.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 07:17:13 -0500

I had similar experience with a Sequent. Oracle insisted on looking for (and finding) a tnsnames.ora at $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, and, having found it, ignoring any TNS_ADMIN setting. This was, of course, contrary to what the release notes said.

My hack was to set a totally bogus TWO_TASK (two wrongs make a right?). Oracle then would try to resolve the bogus service name using $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora, fail, and then as a last resort look for $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora.