Re: Oracle-->SQL Server Data transfer

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:23:28 -0800

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:38:38 +0100, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Contrary to the last time I checked, sqlplus is able
> to write out via spool redirection slightly faster than perl
> can.
>
> I guess P

This has bugged me ever since I tried this test.

Yesterday I realized that I was using a multi-threaded version of Perl, which is notoriously slow, and not quite ready for prime time.

So, I rebuilt my Perl without threading.

Perl trounced sqlplus.

Testing environment:
Oracle 9.2.0.4 EE
RH 8.0 Linux
Perl 5.8.2
DBI 1.42
DBD::Oracle 1.14

Dumping a 512k row table (multiple copies of DBA_OBJECTS inserted in a table T3) yielded the following results:

Perl: 29.42 seconds

Sqlplus: 1 minute 2.46 seconds

Perl was more than 2x faster.

So there. ;)

Jared Still

Certifiable DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist