Re: LMT's with autoallocate

From: Henry Poras <hporas_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:53:09 -0500

I've occasionally used it as an easy method of saving space with PeopleSoft. PeopleSoft has a standard set of tablespaces and depending on the modules in use a lot of its tables and indexes remain empty. Instead of creating new tablespaces (a customization), autoallocate uses the smallest extent size for the empty objects. Less space is wasted.

>From a note I posted to another site about a year ago:
" Quick example of the space difference between UNIFORM and AUTOALLOCATE LMTs. I recently build a SYS database (Tools 8.42) for PeopleSoft Financials (8.40). Just looking at PSINDEX tablespace, I created it with EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 100K. The datafile also had AUTOEXTEND on, using the default extend of one block at a time (yeah it was slow, but that didn't matter for this test). After building the tablespace using uniform extents, I created a new LMT tablespace (PSINDEX_TMP) using AUTOALLOCATE. I then rebuilt all of my indexes from PSINDEX into PSINDEX_TMP. (at the end, I dropped and recreated PSINDEX and rebuilt everything back there to keep PeopleSoft happy).

The size of the original data file for psindex was ~2.6G (2,648,391,680 bytes). After rebuilding stuff into psindex_tmp, the size was ~ 2G (2,021,343,232 bytes).

So if there is a space limitation, autoallocate is definitely the way to go."

Henry

> I don't believe that anyone has actually supplied
> sufficient reason for using autoallocate.
>
> Why bother if it can run out of space, even though
> space is available?
>
> Shades of DD TBS fragmentation...
>
> Jared
>

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:35:14 -0500, Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
wrote:
> > I saw a demo of this where there were no 64M extents so the object took
8M
> > extents and then errored out even though there were still 8M extents
left
> > after it took so many of them, maybe 128. I do not think that I saved
the
> > post.
> >
> > Oracle has stated that the logic behind auto-allocate is subject to
change
> > without notice so observed behavior may not survive an upgrade.
> >
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --

PROHIBITED. If