Job Opportunity @ Opsware

From: Adam Donahue <adonahue_at_opsware.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:59:01 -0800

Folks,
I hope it's OK that I'm posting a job description here, but if I didn't think it was a great opportunity, I wouldn't have sent it to the list.

Anyhow, the company I work for, Opsware, is looking for a senior-level Oracle database engineer with very strong Java skills. By senior-level Oracle engineer, I mean someone who knows his or her way around Oracle without needing to consult the manuals or Metalink for every task. The job is an excellent mix of production DBA work, internal database automation, senior-level customer support, schema design and maintenance, etc. Basically: need a jack-of-all-trades type when it comes to Oracle. But not a generalist, but rather someone who's used Oracle hands-on in a variety of situations. You'll be asked to both work on critical problems needing immediate attention /and/ engineer and design solutions for the longer-term, including aspects of the Opsware product itself.

OK -- so there are a lot of you on the list I'm sure that meet the Oracle qualifications. But the other requirement is Java. We need someone who can both design an Oracle database and engineer management tools (e.g., a data baseline tool we use for prepopulating tables) in Java. This isn't a "learn as you go" Java position. You need to know Java, JDBC, and some EJB would help as well.

Find a mix like this has been very difficult. More Java people don't know Oracle, and most Oracle people don't really have strong Java skills. I'm hoping to find more of the folks with both skill sets on this list. I know it attracts the best and brightest of the Oracle community.

Anyhow -- the pay is very competitive (I can't quote any rates on here,
but I'm confident we can meet most requirements),  full benefits, etc.,
etc.  and the company is so much fun to work for.  Very flexible hours,
/great/ people with a friendly vibe, an emphasis on merit and ideas, and, despite the pressing deadlines, enough time to go out and have fun. Working on weekends is rare, and the company has a good mix of hard-core geeks and just really smart people.

We're located in Sunnyvale, CA, in the heart of Silicon Valley. We're flexible with commuting as well -- you can adjust your hours to avoid traffic, and work from home one or two days a week if necessary. Again, the emphasis is on merit, quality of work, and results, not on being here 9-5. (That said, keeping "reasonable" day hours is important as some of the work, initially, will consist of supporting and building out database solutions in house [e.g. RAC environments] for development, QA purposes, and performance testing.)

This is quite a rambling message, but I hope you've read it through. If anyone out there is looking for an exciting job with a quickly growing company, and the chance to work on cutting edge technology, please drop me a line.

My god I sound like such an HR lackey! I swear I'm technical, I swear!

I've include the job description below, but it was written by HR (thus, mostly irrelevant and vague), so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks all!

Adam

Sr. Database Developer - Job Description

  Sr. Database Developer

      Introduction

Opsware is the leading tool for automating data center operations, thereby making systems administrator' more productive. Come help us extend our lead and build the next generation of Opsware.

This high-level database engineering position requires an expert level of proficiency with Oracle database development and administration.

      Responsibilities

· Support

· Perform DBA tasks involving installation, configuration,
tuning and maintenance of Opsware's database

· Serve as an Oracle and DBMS resource to the rest of the company

· Create & maintain RPMs to use for installing Oracle on
supported platforms

· Development

· Build embedded Oracle package for integration with Opsware
installation

· Manage data models with Erwin

· Build and manage schema versioning

· Develop and maintain technical documentation including
database monitoring best practices and Oracle installation requirements

· Build and extend the tools used to manage Opsware's database
(in Java)

· Integrate support for multiple database platforms into
Opsware (generic database layer)

            Develop logical and physical data models

      Requirements

· Excellent Oracle skills (particularly 8i and 9i, emphasis on
expert understanding of RDBMS)

· Strong Java skills

· Experience with installation, configuration, tuning and
maintenance of Oracle installations

/· /Experience supporting commercial software//

· Strong understanding of relational database design and
implementation

· Experience design, development and maintenance of Oracle
8i/9i/10g database applications

· Experience with Erwin

· Strong Oracle PL/SQL skills

· Experience with logical and physical modeling

· Strong understanding of Web technologies

· Good Unix shell scripting skills

· Demonstrated ability to develop high quality products on time
and on budget

· A quick learner

· Strong analytical skills

· Willingness and ability to work in a fast-moving dynamic
team-oriented environment

· Willingness and ability to work in a product development
organization

· Strong oral, written and inter-personal communication skills

· Strong customer orientation

· Enthusiasm for the work Opsware is doing

      Preferred Background

While not required, we prefer candidates with as much of the following background as possible.

Strongly Preferred

· Degree in computer-related field

· Experience creating and maintaining RPMs

· Experience with one other major DBMS (DB2, Postgres, SQL
Server, MySQL)

· Experience with DB performance optimization

· XML experience (Opsware makes extensive use of XML and
XML-based technologies.)

· Development experience with ClearCase or other source control
tools

· Experience providing the customer support required for a
commercial product

Desirable

· Development experience on a wide range of operating systems
(Windows, Solaris, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, etc)

· Experience with the Python programming language

· Experience developing for multiple platforms

· Experience developing multi-tier applications

· Database developer or administrator certification

· Experience with redundancy, replication and failover
development and deployment

· Experience with application servers and application platforms

· Experience developing Data Warehouse applications

· Experience with distributed systems