RE: Update of Clobs *Performance*

From: Gogala, Mladen <Mladen.Gogala_at_aetn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:04:44 -0500

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what event is his procedure waiting for? We all saw the source code, the fact that there is only a single execution, but I haven't noticed any information about the event the procedure is waiting for. With the insufficient information, my advice always to get a bigger for 4 reasons (sorry Cary, don't shoot me) 1) Bosses just love buying bigger boxes and allocating

   bigger budgets. For some reason, many managers consider    new toy much better solution then having the problematic    software either optimized or replaced. It never fails to    start the fabled IBM's "spiral of death". 2) HW manufacturers pay out really decent coommisions to the

   crooked consultants.
3) It's so much simpler then profiling and optimizing the

   application.
4) I could use a decent commision to try out that new Honda Civic Hybrid.

   and add few more nodes to my home LAN.

My conclusion is that a consultant like me can never go wron by advising a new box. If you give me the response times, the expected response time the information about the events that the application is waiting for, the size information,whether the table is analyzed, and whether there are usable

indexes , then I'll really have to work. I really do prefer advising the "new
box" whenever possible.

--
Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network