RE: Update of Clobs *Performance*

From: Anthony Molinaro <amolinaro_at_wgen.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:34:53 -0500

Mark,

>there is a good chance it will blow up later as the tables grow.
Kidding right?

You bring up a good point, but I disagree. My reasons are:

  1. one commit will outperform the counter.
  2. if the table is so huge that a single commit is a problem then he shouldn't be looping one by one in the first place
  3. undo is a little different here, these are lobs - pctversion

The idea of a counter is useful if you want "partial loads". If half get in and the rest fail, and that's what you want, and you have a reliable point where you can restart, then cool. Otherwise, I really disagree.=20

From: Anthony Molinaro [mailto:amolinaro_at_wgen.net] Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 3:05 PM To: mwf_at_rsiz.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Update of Clobs *Performance*

In regard to: >>>>>>>> Even better, just commit once at the end...