RE: SQL*Loader vs External Tables

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:12:15 -0500

Charlotte,

The biggest benefit that I see is the reduction of one step in a data load process.

Normally, we would load data (using sqlldr) into a staging table, and then use PL/SQL to process that staging table.

With an External table, I can eliminate the first step, and use PL/SQL directly against the external table.

Others might have better observations than this.

Good Luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional