SQL*Loader vs External Tables

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:09:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I am about to set up a regular data load process. In the past I've done this using SQL*Loader but I'm thinking of inserting from an external table instead. I believe the underlying stuff is much the same but wonder if there were any pros and cons of using external tables over SQL*Loader for regular scheduled loads. It's a pretty straightforward load (not lots of ETL type stuff) of data directly into columns so being able to do it with PL/SQL is a small, but not huge benefit.

Thanks for any comments.

Do you Yahoo!?