Re: Re[2]: Howard Rogers 9i new features book

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:23:04 -0500

Hi Jonathan,

This is really great news. Thanks for the information.

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:38:50 -0500, Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com> wrote:
> Tuesday, November 2, 2004, 8:24:12 PM, DENNIS WILLIAMS (DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM) wrote:
> DW> Thank you Jonathan! Great to know that someone at a publisher really
> DW> understands Oracle DBAs.
>
> Well, here's the back-story. I'd heard about this document,
> Howard in touch with that other editor. Now, instead of
> costing Howard money in bandwidth fees, perhaps he can make
> a little bit instead.

I agree with Dennis. This is great for Oracle DBAs. I think there is tremendous benefit with O'Reilly publishing these types of documents. In my opinion, its great because:

  1. Provides an outlet to compensate authors for their work and research.
  2. Includes O'Reilly publishing services, e.g. errata, web comments, possible inclusion in Safari, great technical editors, etc.
  3. Helps identify and advertise the respected authors and works. Many times the best Oracle authors have published with O'Reilly.
  4. Minimizes run-around for the readers, etc., improves quality, helps avoid flashy marketing titles without content, acknowledges key authors and topics. While O'Reilly may have a few /stinkers/, it has a majority of great technical works.
  5. I'd like to see O'Reilly pickup on what Apress is doing with OakTable, and use HJR's document as one-of-a-series of Oracle tutorials, similar to what O'Reilly has done with the Perl series.

Good luck and best wishes.

Regards,

Mike Thomas