datafile size

From: Daniel Garant <dgarant_at_gotcorp.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:01:37 -0500

Hi

Last week, while creating a new datafile for an expanding tablespace I received the ORA-00059 (max number of db_file exceeded). The DB is used in a 24/24 env. So I can't easily plan a bounce to change my db_files parameter from 151 to 250 for example.

Now, I'm wondering if the actual datafile size set by the previous DBA on this DB, which is 4 Gb, is ok or if I could start increasing this size to 8Gb for example. I normally set my datafile size to be a portion of the disk size so that I can easily move datafiles around if needed. But here, the disks are stripped on a big 900 Gb array. So the need to keep the datafile size down is not really relevant anymore.

This DB is approx. 600 Gb and growing of approx. 1 Gb every 2 weeks.

Here are my questions:

Thx in advance

Daniel