RE: Avoid a synonym

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_bizmail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:29:05 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, November 3, 2004 3:58 am, DENNIS WILLIAMS said:

> 1. The application group has their strategy built around public synonyms.

So for the sake of "strategy", they don't mind making development and/or design more expensive? I'm sorry, but I fail to see what has "strategy" got to do with selecting the most appropriate feature to use in solving a particular problem. Nothing personal, of course.

> 2. My boss likes public synonyms.

Oh, it's a personal thing, then... :)

> 3. As I recall, it was Jonathan Lewis who mentioned that public synonyms
> could cause performance problems, and I have passed that along to my boss.

Yes, they have an impact on performance. I first heard about it in Steve Adams' site, IIRC. However, to say that it is worse than PVD is IMHO jumping the gun a bit...

Let's not create another myth, shall we? Public synonyms have indeed an impact on performance. But is it *worse* than alternative methods? If not, then why avoid them?

Same applies to private synonyms, which I believe is what was proposed. As far as I recall (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if it is wrong) the overhead of private synonyms is nowhere near as bad as public ones. They are IMHO a viable option when the much higher overhead of PVD may not be warranted.

> If anyone has a personal horror story to share, that might make an impact.

None to share. Both PVD and private synonyms have their advantages and disadvantages and I've used both with great success. All I'm saying is: let's not avoid one in favour of the other because of prejudice or "strategy".