RE: Oracle Text 9.2 and thesaurus

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:39:53 -0600

Hi Luc,
I haven't tried using a thesaurus yet, but I'm thinking this probably isn't a solution. If I'm not mistaken, you would need to add each item to the the thesaurus, which would be a maintenance nightmare.

Try investigating lexers, specifically the NUMGROUP. Try creating a lexer with a NUMGROUP of CHR(255). I don't think you can do this thru Oracle's Text Mangler GUI, so you'll need to use PL/SQL. For example:

ctx_ddl.create_preference('MY_NEW_CTX_LEXER','BASIC_LEXER'); ctx_ddl.set_attribute('MY_NEW_CTX_LEXER','NUMGROUP',CHR(255)); CREATE INDEX my_yippy_skippy_idx

        ON my_gdawful_table(my_icky_column)
        INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT
        PARAMETERS('LEXER MY_NEW_CTX_LEXER');

<<<MAKE SURE YOU TEST THIS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT EFFECTS THE NUMGROUP HAS ON YOUR SEARCHES!!!!>>>

While very powerful, this can also screw up other searches, depending on your data.

HTH! GL! Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA