RE: Oracle hangs on startup (9.2 on Win2000)

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:41:07 -0500

> This gave the "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel" error.

Have you looked for clues in the alert log? Failed database start-up attempt must leave some telling traces.

> Any more ideas, please, Niall? (Or anybody!). I'm feeling thoroughly
> brushed with the stupid-stick! If not, I can feel a TAR coming on...

Cold backup could be the root of your problem. If startup script tries to start the database but at the same time backup software did not release all the file locks and some data files are given back to Oracle's service while some are not (still locked by backup software) you will end up with failed Oracle start-up, moreover your database will need recovery ("been there" and learned to put large - half an hour or so sleep between backup to tape and attempt to start the database...)

Branimir