RE: Multiple ORACLE_HOMEs in 9iRAC on Linux

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:47:25 -0400

Strange, since the release 10 notes prohibit having the home of CRS and the home of RDBMS being the same place. I realize you're 9i, not 10g, I just think it is a strange recommendation. I wouldn't want to mess with name collisions, and if I had to patch CRS I wouldn't want that to potentially affect the RDBMS software and the reverse is true as well.

Maybe you can make it work, but using a separate install for RDBMS software for 9i certainly is more in tune with 10g and should simplify your migration.

I'm not sure I would have a separate OH for each database, though, although I suppose there is no harm if you have space. I try to make do with 2 or 3 for rdbms, such that I have an ....rdbms/version as OH for each release actually running on the machine (plus possibly a newer one where nothing is actually running yet.)

For 10g, I have penciled in crs, rdbms (just one so far 10.1.0.3 which is 10.1.0.2 patched up to .3), asm, and grid. I put the extra ones in for asm and grid because I want isolation for operational issues upgrading them (just like crs). When I don't have client-server nodes available, I also install a "client" OH with just the client software so I can do a baseline test from there to the other versions on the machine without relying on software that might creep in from rdbms that won't really be there on stand-alone client installs.

I'm still working on how things map out for ease of nomenclature and comments are welcome.

mwf