Re: Database for datawarehouse

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:48:10 -0700

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:32:44 -0400, Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Any comments?

If management is willing to commit to a technology because "somebody recommended it", you have problems.

Are there any criteria for choosing a db technology?

Is cost a consideration? ( You think Oracle is expensive? )

You will get 2 choices for a platform: NCR and whatever there OS is, or Windows.

In the long run, what can TeraData do for you that Oracle can't?

Very little I would guess. Though I haven't used TeraData, I did once study their docs for the same reason you are asking about it. I didn't see anything remarkable there, and a couple bits of their architecture seemed rather kludgy.

--
Jared Still