RE: question about cpu usage

From: Nelson, Allan <anelson_at_miswaco.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:41:22 -0500

Response time for interactive users is non-linear with respect to cpu utilization. The curve looks like a hockey stick with the puck striking surface pointing up. If you are past the knee of the curve your interactive users are receiving unpredictable response times. If you are at 90% utilization and you have 4 CPU's or less you are probably driving your interactive users mad. Query response time for them will swing wildly between "normal" to 10 to 100 times normal. Your batch jobs and your total throughput on the other hand might be doing pretty well. You can get Cary Millsap and Jeff Holt's Optimizing Oracle Performance from O'Reilly. You can go to hotsos.com and register for a =66ree acount and get some white papers and an excel spreadsheet that will show you where the knee on the curve is relative to the number of CPU's.

BTW, number of cpu's is the only factor that affects the knee of the curve and for most affordable configurations and normal mixes of OLTP vs batch you will find the you really want to stay less than 85% and for small machines with 4 or less cpus you are best of to stay below 70%.

Allan