RE: question about cpu usage

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:59:58 -0400

Ryan,

        From my Unix SysAdmin once you reach 60% CPU utilization you've reached the point of diminishing returns, namely things are going to slow down real fast. This is one time I believe him as we've seen the results.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA
-----Original Message-----

From: ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net [mailto:ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net]=20 Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 3:56 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: question about cpu usage

I'm not a hardware guy or sys admin person so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Leaving out all other variables(such as IO), should I expect performance to be the same in a databse if the server it is riding at is at 90% cpu usages as opposed to 10%? since there would still be spare cycles? Or is there a declining returns as you get closing to the maximum available cpu usage?=20

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 14:55:29 CDT