Re: using pipe to export oracle on windows platform

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:51:43 +0200

When we used PVCS, many many moons ago, in a mixed windows/SCO Unix environment, all sources were stored on the unix box. We got a huge software package to maintain, appr. 500K lines of 'C'. What we wanted was to Set a standard header with PVCS labels in any file we touched. So we had a script dealing with all files that got saved. This script ran on Unix, in an infinite loop. It was just sitting there, waiting for a new full path filename appearing, to handle/process this file, if necessary. Guess what, the PVCS post-check-in trigger wrote the file-name to a unix pipe, even on Windows. We created the named pipe for this in a directory that was shared through samba. To prevent early EOF's happening, we had another script, while : ; do; sleep 3600 ; done ><thepipe> running, keeping it open as long as we wanted. I don't have a windoes Oracle client at hand here (lucky me ;-) ), but I'm getting curious whether this could make you writing to a (Unix/Linux) pipe on Windows!

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===