Re: Moving to 64-bit Oracle on Solaris 5.8

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:06:34 +0100

Paul Drake is correct.

Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Oracle doubles the size of pointers - and a significant fraction of the memory used for sorting (at least if the rows you are sorting are small) consists of a binary insertion tree (I believe) that uses a lot of pointers.

I have a test case where

    build index on 8M rows of varchar2(6) too, 320MB for an in-memory build on 32-bit, and 510MB for an in-memory build on 64-bit.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated Sept 19th

Hi,

Are there any known 'gotchas' for moving from 32-bit Oracle to 64-bit on Solaris 5.8? (Yes, we will RTFM :-)

Thanks,
Gudmundur

Þessi póstur var sendur með vefpósti mi, http://www.mi.is

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 08:02:55 CDT