Truncated Longs after using Copy Command.

From: Ben Sauer <SauerBL_at_ldschurch.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:17:33 -0600

(On an inheritted database) I have a long field on a table that is being used to
encode html for forms. It's in some kind of unicode form that is quite weird. When I look at it with sqlplus I see every character with a space after it. Anyway, I need to make a copy of the table to a remote database. When I try the
same thing in Toad (and even Access in desperation) I see only the first character of the field when I try and look at it. (I do see more in toad before
I try and zoom in but each character has a solid black line (like the interpretation of a hard return) after it.) Create table temp as select * from table_with_long_at_remotedatabase gets me an illegal use of long error so I switch to the copy command:

copy from "username/password_at_remotedatabase" create temp using select * from table_with_long.

The result is that I get truncated data. Not sure how long it is copying but it is truncating it. Doesn't matter if I set my long to 1000000 or 9999999 it stops in exactly the same place. I need to get the table copied over exactly as
is, any ideas what's going on or how to fix it? Thanks,

Ben.

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.