Re: Question About Space Usage with LONG RAW Column

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:44:25 +0300

Hi!

> select count (distinct substr(rowid,7,9)) from kc_rawtext. =20
>
> The result is 2,198,800 blocks. However, user_tables.blocks shows
> 4,113,400 blocks. I'm trying to figure out the discrepancy. The table

If you have lots of empty blocks in your table, your rowid query doesn't return those empty blocks.

You still have only one rowid per row, even though it might be chained amongst several blocks - that could be another cause for discrepancy.

> has a LONG RAW column and it appears that the column is not the last
> column in the table (column_id for the LONG RAW column is #3 out of five
> columns). The table grows quickly. Can someone help me understand
> where the space is going? Thx!

How do you check the column position? dba_tab_columns shows the logical position, check COL$.SEGCOL# column to see the real position of the column.

Tanel.