dbms_utility.get_hash_value

From: Jose Manuel Quesada <jose.manuelquesada_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:33:28 +0200

Could anybody tell me under which circunstances different inputs to dbms_utility.get_hash_value can lead to the same output.

The reason is that I work with a 8.1.7.4 database and need to use PLSQL tables with the key based on string values.

So, as the table in indexed by binary integer, I convert the strings to integers through dbms_utility.get_hash_value.

I am so afraid of duplicating keys for different strings that I always writing comparison snippets to verify that the key is not being used by a different string.

Is this an exagerated measure?

Thanks in advance.

Jose M. Quesada