RE: Getting a Clob into a Long

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:27:05 -0700

The original question was about taking the value in a LOB column and putting it in a LONG. If the value is more than 32K in size, there is no way to do that using PL/SQL or SQL in Oracle. A program will need to be written using OCI calls (or an interface to OCI calls - which I presume is what Perl does) or Pro*C or another similar language.

It is possible in PL/SQL to RETRIEVE all the data in a LONG column, even if the data is more than 32K, but it is not possible to INSERT into a LONG column when the data is more than 32K.