Getting a Clob into a Long

From: <bonnergj_at_songs.sce.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:43:37 -0700

I have a bit of a dilemma here. We have a production table that has a long datatype on it and for reasons
I won't get into cannot be converted to a clob for several more months. I have a work table that has a clob on it as one of the columns. I need to copy the row from the clob table into the table with the long. This is all done in a stored procedure that gets called when needed. I go through a loop that parses the
clob into varchar2 chunks and then concatenates them into a plsql long datatype. Problem is a plsql long
datatype can only be 32k. Some of the clobs are longer and thus the problem.
There are built-in functions to convert/load from a long to a clob but I haven't been able to find a way of going the other way. Longs on tables can hold 2gig but a plsql long can only handle 32k. Does anyone out there have any ideas how I could do this? I have tried every possible scenario I can think of with no success. Thanks for listening, Gary