Fw: merge command, pq slaves and sorting

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:05:53 +0200

Hi,

> Can someone please verify...If the FTS spawns a number of slaves based on
> the degree, does each sort operation also get that number of slaves, is
> that correct?

You may simple verify the SQL statements that will be performed in parallel by checking the explain plan. On execution time you can observe those SQL statement and the actual deployed DOP querying V$SQLAREA joined to V$SESSION. Verify also that you don't deploy a default degree of paralellism (=number of cpu * paralle_threads_per_cpu), which could be unacceptable large. This could happen e.g. using a hint such as PARALLEL(a,) that overrides the DOP defined in a table. This is in my experience the most frequent cause of excessive paralellism.

If you observe a case, where the parallel query consumes more slaves that the documented value of 2 times DOP + 1 coordinator, please provide the SQL statement.

HTH Jaromir D.B. Nemec