Custom installations of Oracle9i/10g

From: Adam Donahue <adonahue_at_opsware.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:01:25 -0700

Folks,
This has been puzzling me for some time. It seems so obvious, but I can't find any good information on how to do it.

The question is, how does one tailor an Oracle installation down to its bare minimum -- /just/ the rdbms, no extras? Of course, I'm able to remove certain higher-level components, e.g., Enterprise Manager, but any attempt to remove most more specific components generates a dependency list that includes the core database software itself.

For example, consider deinstalling SQL*Loader. This tool obviously requires Oracle 9i; but why would Oracle 9i in turn require it, more specifically, why is Oracle 9.2.0.4 removed along with it?

Say I select removal from the OUI:

   Oracle Homes ->

       oracleHome1 ->
          Oracle9i Database 9.2.0.4.0 ->
             Oracle9i 9.2.0.4.0 ->
                Oracle Database Utilities 9.2.0.4.0 ->
                   SQL*Loader 9.2.0.4.0      <-- selected

If I try now to deinstall SQL*Loader, by selecting it and it alone from the deinstallation menu, it creates a dependency list including the database executables themselves! Click "deinstall" and you end up deinstalling half the database software, leaving you with a very broken Oracle installation. Can this be prevented?

Is there /any/ way to tailor an installation of Oracle9i at this level of granularity? How about Oracle10g?

I'd hate to have to resort to removing individual files myself (and I'm sure it would break some support agreements, but this is mainly for internal testing at this point), but there is so much, um, crap, installed with 9i that 90% of it doesn't seem relevant to anything we're currently doing.

The example above is for Standard Edition, but I've seen similar behavior with Enterprise Edition.

Thanks,

Adam