RE: RMAN-NetBackup without an RMAN Catalog

From: Joel Garry <joelgarry_at_anabolicinc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:20:07 -0700

>From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
>
>Hemant,
>
>You have to admit that this may never be available. Think about it.
You
>will be migrating to new releases about 4 times between now and 5 years
from
>now. Rman version 13x would probably choke and puke anyway when it
tried to
>restore the version 9i controlfile! :)
>
>Tom Mercadante
>Oracle Certified Professional

Tom:

I see stuff all the time where people have 5+ year old systems that have been converted, but they still keep the old boat anchor around so they can look at stuff - sometimes to say "The old system did this, make the new system do it!".

Between legal requirements and archival requirements, I don't think it is strange at all that someone might want to restore to 5 years ago. I think it is very strange that a major database vendor might not be able to with their primary restoration tool.

http://www.garry.to