Re: RMAN-NetBackup without an RMAN Catalog

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:50:10 +0100

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:39:22 -0400, Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> wrote:
> Well, I guess that's my point. In my view, using Rman to accomplish this
> "requirement" by your management is the wrong selection. If they have this
> kind of a requirement, then you need another solution - like maybe a flat
> table dump of all tables within your database.

Managers typically don't understand this requirement. They know, or have a fair idea of what they need to be able to do: that is to review data ( usually
financial ) to support some type of audit.

Frequently this requirement could be met by financial reports saved to PDF files and burned to a CD.

Saving data for N years has a lot of prerequisites that must be met to render old archived data useful.

Software: Do you have the correct software? Hardware: HW that is compatible with the SW, and the OS to match? Data: Maps of the data? Data models in case reports need to be written against the data?
Media: Will you have HW in 5 years that can read the media that the 5 year old data is on?
Will the media still be good in 5 years?

A good read on the subject is "Dark Ages II: When the Digital Data Die"

The reviews rate it as mediocre, but I thought it was a good read.

--
Jared Still