Re: clntsh.o

From: Jeff Herrick <jherrick_at_igs.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:24:19 -0400 (EDT)

Even if you extract the object file from the archive it might still be a shared object. The only way to tell is to do a

dump -ov objectfilename

If the header says SHROBJ and DYNLOAD then you would need the source for the module to relink it so that your calling code can be then linked static. Linking with the module outside of the archive is still going to generate references to the shared object.

If it's a runtime resolution issue with the shared object do a

dump -HTv yourexecutable

and you will see the library path that the executable is going to use at load time. The path can be stripped by passing a -bnoipath option to the linker for your main program. You can then use the LIBPATH environment variable to resolve the dependancies at run-time....otherwise the program will not load and you'll get a message about not being able to find the shared object.

We have to do this in our environment because there is no compiler on the prod machine and the directory paths for the libraries can be different. This might be why your developers want to statically link.

BTW...the 'god' of AIX linking and loading (Gary R. Hook) says that 'static linking is evil'

HTH Jeff Herrick