RE: OT : Hardware evaluation

From: Leonard, George <GLeonard_at_wesbank.co.za>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:33:57 +0200

Hi there

Well first you need to know how you current system is coping with the available resources,

Memory, cpu, IO on disks.

Having pretty much always used SUN for the last 7 yrs in one form or the other I love the equipment but a lot have to be said for the new Intel Itanium 2 technology out there, I am getting pretty partial to the HP offerings considering the same chip/configuration can run HP-UX and Linux (Red Hat Advance Server the OS of choice here).

Add this to some nice internal DAS storage or a Hitachi San and you have a pretty sweet solution,

But getting back to reality, know how you current environment is doing under normal and load conditions before looking to size something new,

Then also ask the considerations/requirements management want next, redundancy etc.

George
George Leonard
Oracle Database Administrator
New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
E-mail:gleonard_at_wesbank.co.za
=20

You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity! Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk, Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
=20