Basic level 8 trace question

From: <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:41:02 -0400

I ran a level 8 trace and formatted the file with tkprof. For one of the entries the output was this:

***

select text
from
 view$ where rowid=:1

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Parse 24 0.01 0.00 0 0 0 0
Execute 24 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
Fetch 24 0.00 0.00 7 48 0 24
------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

total 72 0.01 0.01 7 48 0 24

Misses in library cache during parse: 0
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE

      3     HASH JOIN
   7219      TABLE ACCESS   GOAL: ANALYZED (BY INDEX ROWID) OF
                 'PS_RSF_OPPORTUNITY'
1852336       INDEX   GOAL: ANALYZED (RANGE SCAN DESCENDING) OF
                  'PSGRSF_OPPORTUNITY' (NON-UNIQUE)
    231      TABLE ACCESS   GOAL: ANALYZED (BY INDEX ROWID) OF
                 'PS_WSI_RSF_OPP_FLD'
    231       INDEX   GOAL: ANALYZED (RANGE SCAN) OF
                  'PSBWSI_RSF_OPP_FLD' (NON-UNIQUE)

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:
  Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total
Waited

My question is whether the SQL*Net message from client refers only to those waits that occur from the start of the SQL to the end of its execution (in which case it might indicate a problem) or includes time before or after the SQL was executed (in which case it probably doesn't).

Also, what is the unit of time for total waited?

TIA! On the bright side I think I'll finally get the okay to go to the next Hotsos seminar in the NYC area (I'm praying it isn't in January). My management was really negative about allowing anyone to take training but I now have the okay from both the person below and above the stumbling block so he won't be able to say either that my department manager won't approve it or that the senior maangement won't approve it.

Thanks,
Jay Miller