Re: recommendation of a free ER-Diagram software?

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:45:37 +0200

Hi Guang,
In stead of ER modeling I prefer ORM (Object Role Modeling. Nice tool for that was Infomodeler from Asymmetrix, until Visio bought that and Microsoft bought Visio and more or less discontinued Informodeler. Good part of the story that, in stead of an expensive product, Visiomodeler is an 'unsupported product' edition, that can be downloaded for free at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27FE6786-A439-4286-B8B6-7A9B84CFA709&displaylang=en

ORM takes a little time to learn, but I think it is far better in communcating your idea's about the datamodel with the user. For instance, you don't create the n:m relationship tables in the model, but you simply model the n:m relationship between the objects. Visiomodeler will take care of the connecting tables during the generation process.

Just give it a try, it's free.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===