Number of extents . . . does it matter?

From: Yen, Eric <EYen_at_sonypictures.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:32:17 -0700

I am working with an Oracle8i database. Yes I should upgrade and we have plans to in the near future we are vendor locked right now.
We are planning a ReOrg and I am wondering if the number of extents really makes a difference?

For example a 500MB table with Initial Extent of 25MB and Next Extent of 25MB would have 20 extents.
Would changing the Initial and Next Extent to 50MB and having 10 extents increase performance?

I have read that the number of extents does not really matter because of access method either by index or full table scan.

Does anyone have any experience that they are willing to pass along?

Regards,

Eric Yen
http://www.sonypictures.com