RE: High oracle cpu on Windows 2000 w/ FailSafe 3.1.2 afterpatch applied for Security Alert #64

From: Mark Strickland <mstrickland_at_drugstore.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:14:25 -0700

Thanks! I'll look into that.

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom [mailto:JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org] Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 10:12 AM To: Mark Strickland; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: High oracle cpu on Windows 2000 w/ FailSafe 3.1.2 afterpatch applied for Security Alert #64

We are running 8.1.7.4.x and would have conditions where a thread was consuming CPU which Oracle did not know about. Eventually, we found that it was the dead connection detection thread that is created for every connection. Initially, this would only happen during some Oracle Apps 11i patching. However, after one Apps patch, we started getting it on a regular basis and had to turn off DCD. We were told it was fixed in 9i.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> "Mark Strickland" <mstrickland_at_drugstore.com> 10/12/04 1:01:33 PM

I installed qslice on the server and I can see which thread within the oracle process is consuming the cpu. However, I can't match it to an Oracle session within the database. That one thread is consuming 24% of the cpu right now and the consumption will grow over the next couple of days until the server is hosed. I searched MetaLink. Here's the query I'm using:

select to_char(p.spid,'XXXX') "Thread ID",

       b.name "Background Process",
       s.username "User Name",
       s.osuser "OS User",
       s.status "STATUS",=20
       s.sid "Session ID",=20
       s.serial# "Serial No.",=20
       s.program "OS Program"  =20
from v$process p,=20
     v$bgprocess b,=20
     v$session s  =20
where s.paddr =3D p.addr and=20
      b.paddr(+) =3D p.addr;

Any ideas? Perhaps it is a thread related to FailSafe? We may backout the patch to see if things return to normal. I have an open TAR and the analyst hasn't reported any hairballs with regards to applying the patch in a FailSafe environment.

Thx!

Mark