RE: Distinguising one SQL execution from another

From: Smiley John - IL <SMILEYJ_at_tusc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:08:11 -0500

I know that I can get all of this from 10046 traces, including the recursive SQL. I've been using them for years and thanks to Cary and others, I know how to interpret them pretty well. The issue is that gathering these traces is expensive - you can't expect to run them all of the time and certainly not for all sessions on a production database. What I'm not convinced of yet is that this is the only way to get the information I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is a light weight method to get a rough idea of how much time (elapsed and CPU) each session spends executing (broken out by parse, execute and fetch if I can get it) each SQL statement it submits, taking recursive SQL into account. This would be a monitor that runs continuously on heavily loaded production systems. 10046 traces do not fit the bill.

I'd like to be able to do this with SQL against V$ and/or X$ tables, but I'd consider using a direct SGA attach method such as described by Kyle Hailey. I just need to know where to look in the SGA for the information.

John Smiley