Distinguising one SQL execution from another

From: Smiley John - IL <SMILEYJ_at_tusc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:04:35 -0500

Is there a way to distinguish one execution of a SQL statement by a given session from another? Say I look at v$session and see that the session is active and I record the sql_hash_value and sql_address. Then at some later time I examine v$session again and find that the same session is active and that the sql_hash_value and sql_address are the same as recorded earlier. Is there any way to tell if the session is executing on the same call or if they are two different executions of the same SQL? How might I determine how many times the same SQL was executed by the session between peeks at v$session? Better yet, how might I determine how much time was spent during each execution. Assume that this is 8i or 9i.

10g gives this information at the SQL statement level in v$sql, but there is still no information about how long a particular session spent parsing, executing, and fetching for a given statement (that I know of).

John Smiley