Snapshots on prebuilt tables with reduced precision

From: Kaing, Leng <Leng.Kaing_at_team.telstra.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:45:11 +1000

Greetings all,

Initially I thought the option "with reduced precision" was used to get = around the problem of replication tables where column orders or number = of columns do not match. eg. master table has 4 columns but we only want = to replicate 3 of the columns. And/or the order of the columns on the = master and slave tables do not match.

However, today I've just discovered this definition in the Oracle = manuals: "Specify WITH REDUCED PRECISION to authorize the loss of = precision that will result if the precision of the table or materialized = view columns do not exactly match the precision returned by subquery"=20 I'm now confused. What does "authorise the loss of precision" mean? = Master column can be varchar(10) and slave column can be varchar(8) and = 2 characters dropped off in the process? Am I right to assume that "with reduced precision" is used with the = number of columns and/or order in the master and slave do not match?

TIA, Leng.