Perl program to configure multiple Windows paths

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:13:06 -0400

Hi,

I've written a small Perl program (open source) that manages the Windows path environment. Its useful for configuring the Windows path environment prior to running either DOS or WIN32 programs. For example, its possible to simultaneously run DOS or WIN32 programs, from different versions of Oracle, using a single user account.

I use it to simultaneously run different versions of Oracle DB on my laptop in a single user session. For example, I'm running 8.1.7, 9.2.0, 10.1.0 simultaneously, in a single user session.

Obviously, this concept is somewhat of a hack (see related oracle-l postings), but might be very useful for a laptop or other light-weight user. The risk is for programs that re-read the path environment during execution, after you changed it, and they crash or otherwise fail. It appears to work for programs that only read the path environment when launched.

Does anyone care to evaluate and comment?

Regards,

Mike Thomas

(PS: If there is any interest I can forward a copy of the program. It requires perl. If there is an /overwhelming/ response, then maybe I'll ask someone to host a copy of it for me)