RE: Hw is Sharelex ?

From: Carel-Jan Engel <>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:12:57 +0200

The reason I didn't answer before is that I don't like (to put it nicely) questions broadcasted across the whole world, (OKAY, just 4 mailinglists, but that's the same). However, I feel urged to react because a proper alternative isn't mentioned during the lifetime of this thread. I think Oracle is doing a good job with Data Guard, and I'd like to advocate that nice and free (EE required) option. The LONG column problem has been addressed in 10g. With 10g I see few reasons (if any) not to consider Data Guard (Logical Standby/SQL Apply). As mentioned, if you have EE you have it already, for free (more or less). Shareplex is far from free. Queueing is outside your database (in your redo/archived redo) with Data Guard. Management is not that difficult anymore. Appr. 6 mouseclicks and a couple of keys (if you want to overrule defaults) in GC is all you need to instantiate a standby database. Of course I don't like GUI's, I do it the hard way, with command lines and scripts. The 6 mouseclicks was Physical, no time yet to do Logical on 10g, but at least put it on your shortlist.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===