Re: How do you keep track of querys using hints.

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:56:32 +0000

you shouldn't need 1,000 queries with hints unless your tables are not analyzed. I have found that if my tables are analyzed and even if I'm not using system stats and have really bad index paramters I only have to hint 1% or less of all queries. How I keep track of them depends on the processes at the job site. I like to keep a copy of them in a file so i can run them at will.

We are going to start implementing a process for 'tagging' our queries so we can identify where they are stored and what part of the application they are for. This is something that may help:

select /*+ hinted <your hint> */

this way you can search v$sqlarea for the keyword 'hinted'. We are using hints to tell us the module and the file(we are storing sql in xml files) we are storing the query in. This way if a query comes back with a performance problem we know what group to call and where to find the query. -------------- Original message --------------