RE: Shadow Image....

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:38:53 +0800

RMAN cannot be used to create backups which rely on SnapShot/SnapClone/BCV/ShadowImage technologies. DBAs must still put the databases in Backup mode and create the "copied" image of the database.

Hemant

At 02:57 AM Saturday, Bobak, Mark wrote: Carel-Jan,

It's interesting that Oracle provided this enhancement.

The message I thought I was hearing (with the introduction of RMAN, and then with the requirement to use RMAN if you go w/ ASM), was that conventional backups were *eventually* going away.

Perhaps the rumors of the conventional backup's demise have been a bit exaggerated.....

-Mark

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

--