Database recovery scenario....Help!

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:04:28 -0400

So, I was doing some backup and recovery testing, and wound up=20 in the following situation:

Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 8 3-node RAC cluster, w/ Veritas Cluster software and VxVM on EMC storage w/ BCVs configured

Now, first thing, we thought we'd try a basic recovery scenario:

1.)  sync BCVs
2.)  enter backup mode for all tablespaces
3.) split BCVs
4.) exit backup mode
5.) shutdown all instances
6.) restore from BCVs
7.) start up one instance, recover, roll forward.....

Well, the first problem is that the controlfiles had BCVs! So, they got backed up and restored w/ the datafiles....bad,=20 but not fatal, at least in this case.

I was forced to do "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel".
Ok, fortunately, no controlfile corruption, we dodged that bullet.

Next problem:
This is the big one. Some of the datafiles belonging to undo tablespaces=20
didn't have BCVs. So, we did a the BCV backup, but missed some datafiles,
and then we restored everything we had BCVed, which didn't include some of the datafiles.

So, I do recovery, I roll forward, and I try to do an open resetlogs, and I get:
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01152: file 85 was not restored from a sufficiently old backup ORA-01110: data file 85: '/dev/vx/rdsk/prerac_undo/inp_vundo01_n1'

So, at this point, there is no valid, supportable way to recover, right?

I ended up setting "_allow_resetlogs_corruption=3Dtrue", and that got the database open.

So, my question is, did I have any other alternatives? I'm pretty sure I had no choice other than to set the resetlogs corruption parameter.

Fortunately, this was a test database, specifically for backup and recovery testing, so, no great loss.

I'm just curious if I had any alternatives?

-Mark
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 17:00:00 CDT