Re: ODBC Driver Behaviour?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:25:37 +0100

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:51:19 -0700, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:11:22 +0100, Niall Litchfield
> <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm really hoping that
> >
> > a) This is known ODBC Driver behaviour and
> > b) something can be done about it without touching the code (i.e there
> > is a way of modifying the behaviour).
> >

> Hi Niall,
>
> ODBC is known to do a describe on the table. Dependant on the
> version you may be able to disable that. Search on MetaLink
> for ODBC, there's quite a bit there.

Cheers that may make sense of the parse but don't execute...

> It does sound as if the app may be doing a really inefficient
> rowcount to determine how many rows are available. Not
> much you can do about that one.
>
> Also, whose ODBC driver is it? Microsofts is sometimes required
> by apps due to an undocumented ODBC feature that allow PL/SQL
> index by tables to return collections to ODBC. Oracle's driver does
> not allow that: it's one of those 'undocumented features of MS software.

oh no. each of these selects returns exactly one row - its a PK lookup[1]. They should be doing a set operation, this I am going to raise with them..

Oracle 9.2.0.4 - sorry if I didn't say that.

> If Oracle's, have you downloaded the latest one from MetaLink?
>
> The versions installed with Oracle are usually buggy, or at least
> buggier than the current ones. :)

No kidding. I also often find you can find later drivers on otn than on metalink - go figure.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

[1] where the PK is implemented in the (inaccessible) code - wouldn't
want to do it in the db now would we...