RE: 9i Exports

From: Darrell Landrum <darrell_at_landrum.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:00:03 -0500

Bryan,

I'm assuming nothing, so I'm just responding based on the seemingly high level of your question.
I really recommend reading the docs on this one. There are packages to take advantage of here to verify that you're export covers a "complete set". What this means is that to use transportable tablespace technology, you have to have all dependent objects in your set of tablespaces. For example, if you've got a sales table in sales_data tablespace with indexes in sales_idx tablespace, either the indexes need to be dropped (not typically desired) or both tablespaces need to be part of your TTS solution. To be completely objective, this may have changed in 9i. I created a solution to copy a production database to refresh a test instance on 8i and haven't changed it since, so I'm still using the same code in 9i. 9i may not be as restrictive. I know 10g gets a lot better with this technology, so I've got some learning to do there.
Also, I don't believe direct=y is necessary as you're not really exporting data for TTS use.

Good luck!