Re: PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is another way to instability.

From: <J.Velikanovs_at_alise.lv>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:26:21 +0300

>I think that if your miss of sql in the shared pool is 10% that most
>statements that are not frequently executed will quickly be aged out
>and re-parsed during subsequent execution.
How about great guideline - parse ones execute many times. In this context, the systems with good design which use bind variables are more instable then others ;)
>How is this any different, if the bind variables used at parse (with
>cursor_sharing=SIMILAR) differ greatly from one execution to another,
>in terms of distribution?

And this is just begining of the list:

- PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET
- bind variables peeking
- regular statistic gathering

More features we have (use), more instable our systems ;) But there are some methods to get rid of it, or at least minimize impact I suppose.

Jurijs