RAMDISK redo, was: Please a parameter to disable undo, like _disable_logging

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:42:58 +0200

NOTE: I _KNOW_ what the risks are.
Just for fun, I created a ramdisk on Linux, and put my online redologs there. They are copied there on system startup by an rc-script. A graceful system shutdown saves them back to HDD just before the powershut.

Not exactly what you asked for, but speeding things up quite well. I must give the credit of this to Casey Dyke, who put his redo on /tmp on Solaris some day, to speed up a huge load. tmp on Solaris is more or less ramdisk. He posted about this here. It's quite easy on linux as well. Tweak your boot parameters a little, to create ramdisk devices that are big enough, create the filesystem, mount and there you go.

By the way, this is some form of backing up your online redologs ;-)

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===