RE: rman failure ORA-04030 indicates memory issue

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:54:59 -0400

Ed,

I think your not quite correct on this one. Web applications are typically "stateless". They do not have a direct connection to the database.

The way the question was asked, the app-server is connection-pooling several web users to the database. In this case, the app-server will detect (probably via a time-out setting) that the user has not responded and will issue a rollback.

As for session variables, again, the app-server is managing these. I'm not exactly sure how, but I'm guessing that each web client gets a unique client id that it shares with the app-server for each transaction. Session variables are probably managed via this client id.

Please please please someone correct me. Lots of assumptions in this response.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

From: Deen Dayal [mailto:deen.dayal_at_dol.state.nj.us] Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:26 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I am new to web applications. I have a basic question related connection pooling.
How does connection pool handle the session variables? Say there are 2 connections in the pool
Say an application grabbed a connection from the pool say SID of the session is 100

It updated Table emp and prompted user A for save/cancel to commit/rollback.

At this point in time user A either closed his browser or switched the PC off.

After few moments another user B launched another browser and launched the application grabbed the same session SID 100 ( Assuming that earlier connection was returned to the pool ) made some changes and committed it. Now whether the changes made by A are also committed?? If user A's application had set certain packaged variables then what happens to them? Whether they are all retained or reset? If they are all cleaned up, who does it? app server or JDBC driver?

Thanks
Deen

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 08:50:48 CDT