Exporting to a tab delimited file - no spaces

From: Kristen Cameron <cameronkgd_at_inac-ainc.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:00:11 -0400

List,

One of my clients wants a script that will export 28 tables to a tab-delimited format. I have managed to use 'set colsep' to set the delimiter to a tab. This resulted in a tab-delimited file, but all the fields were padded with spaces to the max field width. The spaces cause problems for the software destined to use these files.

The other options is select col1 || chr(9) || col2 ... etc., but I don't want to have to type each column name for 28 tables. I also know lots of ways to clean up the files once they are created, but I'm looking for a way to get a clean file right from the SQL prompt.

Does anyone have a neat trick to help out with this one? Oracle 8.1.7 running on Windows 2000.

Thanks!

Kristen Cameron

Database Administrator | Administrateur de bases données Information Management Group | Groupe de gestion de l'information Indian and Northern Affairs Canada | Affaires Indiennes et du Nord Canada Yellowknife, NT X1A 2R3
(867)669-2536 | cameronkgd_at_inac.gc.ca