Re: PowerDesigner

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 02:43:05 -0400

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:08:13 -0400, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche_at_gmail.com> wrote: ...
> Our need is to be albe to only maintain our datamodel in a very simple way.
>
> Could you give me your feedback on there different versions.

Hi,

FYI, Quest includes the PhysicalArchitect product in more advanced versions of Toad and SQL Navigator. The Quest product QDesigner is OEM by PowerDesigner, so its basically the same product. I'm referring to QDesigner in my discussion below.

I've been 'converted' to PowerDesigner or QDesigner and prefer it over other modeling products, unless its just simple drawings which I can do with Visio or something else simple. If you are doing only physical db modeling then the 'Physical' product is fine (PDM). You can upgrade Toad or SQL Navigator to get the product, too. The features supported in this tool far (in my opion) outclass other competing products, especially for Oracle, XML and MySQL (in case you do it, too).

DataArchitect and ObjectArchitect both include conceptual (CDM) models (like m-m attributes). E.g.: See
http://www.quest.com/qdesigner/configurations.asp

The Developer product does not include conceptual models. Rather, it allows generation of more code types, like XML stuff. So, if you have the choice and want most options you may choose the ObjectArchitect because it includes PDM, CDM, and code generation stuff. But, many times just PDM is enough.

I've found one issue going with Quest instead of Sybase for the 'same' product. Quest would not allow me to change my mind during annual maintenance renewal, e.g. I could not switch from ObjectArchitect including repository to ObjectArchitect without repository for annual renewal. Same problem may apply to the decision you are trying to make, e.g. PDM, CDM, OO. Even though I no longer needed the repository, Quest required me to renew maintance on both. I chose not to renew. You may therefore consider this a hint to get the Sybase version. But, its also a good question to ask Sybase about the product, in case your experience differs. ;-)

I had a couple issues with the product: I found bugs using the repository. The learning curve was high.

Regards,

Mike Thomas